Building 640 at the Presidio in San Francisco

Building 640 at the Presidio in San Francisco
Information Source for the Military Intelligence Service Historic Learning Center

Monday, July 11, 2011

Interview with my grandmother

On Thursday we interviewed my grandmother. She was born in San Francisco on Geary Street in Japan Town and was sent to Heart Mountain internment camp during the war. I felt that she was a good person to interview because after the war, she moved to Chicago and finally settled in Los Angeles. So she has a good understanding of the Japanese American communities. One of the interesting points about my grandmother that I learned was that she went to an elementary school that didn't have many Japanese Americans. So when the attack on Pearl Harbor happened, her family pulled her out so she wouldn't face any discrimination. But it was unfortunate that she didn't get a full education. In the camps she got a watered down education and graduated; it makes me feel so fortunate to have gotten a full education growing up. I got to take music classes, economics, and anatomy and physiology. While in college, I have compared myself to others and I felt like I didn't get a very good education. I didn't have a robotics club or a biotechnology club, but in perspective I feel like I've gotten an education that makes my grandmother proud of me. 

[Alison]

No comments:

Post a Comment