Building 640 at the Presidio in San Francisco

Building 640 at the Presidio in San Francisco
Information Source for the Military Intelligence Service Historic Learning Center

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mo Magic presentation

Yesterday, July 5th, we had our J Town cultural presentation. There were students from all over San Francisco that came to the event. It was a presentation to teach kids about the injustices and adversity that the Japanese Americans had to face while living in America. 

During the performance we had some trouble. The sound system cut out, the professor who was supposed to teach the dance did not show up, and the students were getting antsy. Our supervisor Roz told Alison that she would have to lead the dance by herself. Luckily, one of the interns found the dance teacher and he was able to teach. 

I had to open the performance. I asked them what J Town meant and they answered "Japantown!". The students were well behaved. I talked a lot about Japanese American history but even with all the information, every time I asked a question, the students would raise their hands and answer. When we had the dance, the young kids and the high school students got up and danced.

It was a great experience. I was very happy that everything worked out. Everyone worked together and we came out with a good presentation. I did not expect to talk so I was surprised when Roz told me I had to open the presentation. Afterwards I was exhasuted but I feel like I gained a whole lot of experience leading a production.

Ken Matsueda

No comments:

Post a Comment